Patron Code of ConductPDF Version
Updated: 10/12/2017 The purpose of the library is to provide materials and services in a welcoming, safe, environment. In order to provide an appropriate environment, the following Code of Conduct is in effect at all times. Patrons are expected to follow the instructions of library staff and law enforcement officers (LEOs). Anyone who violates the Code of Conduct will be asked to leave the building and dependent on the severity of the infraction, may be banned from the library and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
1. Appropriate behavior is required at all times, and patrons shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library. Patrons not engaged in reading, studying or using library materials may be asked to leave the building.
2. The library has the right to prohibit groups from congregating in the building, on the grounds or from blocking library entrances.
3. A reasonably quiet library atmosphere is expected. No patron may disturb others who are using the library.
4. Loud talking or laughing, obscene, offensive, insulting or threatening language and gestures, racial slurs, or hate speech.
5. Harassing library users or staff (physical, sexual, verbal or stalking).
6. Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, drug use, possession, sale or exchange of alcohol or drugs. 7. Running, pushing, hitting, or fighting.
8. Sleeping, loitering, or littering.
9. Soliciting for any purpose or distributing literature of any kind without permission of library management.
10. Exhibit or carry firearms, knives or weapons of any kind or gambling on library property.
11. Using cell phones or other electronic devices in a manner that disturbs others. Cell phones must be on silent mode. Patrons may be asked to take cell phone calls to the lobby.
12. Children’s and Teen areas are to be used by adults only if accompanying children or teens.
13. Parents and caregivers (over the age of 11) of children under 9 or of individuals with special needs are to remain with them and supervise their behavior at all times, including while attending a library program.
14. Unattended children under the age of 9 or individuals with special needs will be given into the custody of the police.
15. Patrons under the age of 16 not picked up by parent within 10 minutes of the library closing will be given into the custody of the police.
16. Patrons must have valid, legal ID to get a library card and may only use their own card to access materials and services.
17. Materials must be checked out before leaving the library or being taken into the restroom.
18. Library materials must be returned on time and in the same condition in which they were checked out. Overdue or damaged materials deprive others in need of those materials.
19. Use of library computers requires a valid KCKPL library card. Individuals without cards may be able to get a guest pass.
20. Library telephones may only be used by children calling for rides.
21. Anyone who vandalizes, climbs on, steals, defaces, or destroys library material; equipment or building components will forfeit all library privileges, will be subject to financial liability for damages and may be subject to criminal penalties.
22. Animals are not permitted in the library except for properly identified service animals that aid the physically challenged and for programming purposes.
23. Patrons shall be fully clothed including footwear. Clothing or accessories may not obscure the face unless such article of clothing is worn for religious purposes.
24. Patrons shall maintain a generally acceptable standard of personal hygiene. Bathing, changing clothes or shaving are not allowed on library property.
25. Parking is solely for the use of patrons while they are in the library. Vehicles must park in designated spaces. Violations may result in cars being towed at the owner’s expense.
26. Smoking is not permitted within 200 feet of the building. Rolling cigarettes or keeping an unlit cigarette in your mouth and Electronic Cigarettes are also prohibited.
27. Nonalcoholic beverages in a container with a lid are acceptable in the library, food is not allowed except in designated areas.
28. Please walk. For your safety, skateboards, heelies, basketballs, bicycles or other sports equipment may not be brought into the library.
29. Patrons may bring no more than two bags into the library, only one of which may be a small gym bag or school type backpack. Other acceptable bags are a small store bag, brief case, laptop bag, messenger bag or purse. Wheeled carts, luggage, bedrolls, and trash bags of any kind are not allowed. Library staff will not store patron’s personal belongings while in the library.
30. Patrons may not carry any flammable liquid, explosive, acid or other dangerous substance or that which gives on an offensive odor into the building.
31. Library staff or law enforcement (LEOs) may request a patron to provide proper identification. Refusal to provide such information may lead to removal from the library.
Please Note: Persons who are found to be in violation of library regulations shall be ordered to discontinue the prohibited behavior or leave the library building and grounds. Any person who refuses or fails to obey such orders shall be guilty of violating library regulations, and staff will contact local authorities.